All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBorn near the red sand dunes of the Kalahari, PEARL HARRIS lived most of her life in South Africa, before taking the drastic step of relocating to the Czech Republic. Czechoslovakia? Isn't that Communist? Isn't there a war going on over there? were just some of the comments she had to grin and bear before leaving South Africa at the beginning of 2002. At an age when most are enjoying retirement, departing from the comfort zone of family and friends to a new home and career in a country with an unintelligible language and culture and climate far removed from her own, proved a challenge to be faced head-on by this descendant of ather British pioneer. Pearl's account of those first difficult years as an immigrant in a small Czech village will have you laughing out loud. This is an essential read for anyone contemplating emigration, as well as for the reader relaxing in the comfort of a familiar armchair to breathe a thankful sigh for t having chosen this tortuous path!
- Author BiographyPearl Harris (nee Hodgman) whose ancestors hail from Britain, was born in 1945 in Vryburg, in the Northern Cape province of South Africa. She grew up on her parents' farms in the Vryburg and East London districts where she spent most of her life before emigrating to the Czech Republic in 2002 with her husband, Ian, their Labrador and cat. Pearl is a travel addict and has no intention of ever giving up this habit. She has travelled widely in Europe, Africa, the U.S.A. and the U.K. Besides travel, her passions are animals, reading, writing and photography. Having completed her Matric at Clarendon Girls' High School in East London, and training in Diagnostic Radiography at East London's Frere Hospital, Pearl went on to obtain a B.A. in English and Linguistics and a post-graduate Diploma in Translation at Unisa, and a TEFL qualification. Since 1981, her freelance articles have been published in South African magazines, Diversions and Your Family, and recently in Czech magazines, Lifestyles and Bridge, as well as on the websites, www.TimeTravel-Britain.com and www.TransitionsAbroad.com . At present, Pearl is an English teacher, proof-reader and freelance travel writer in the Czech Republic, which has become her permanent home. Her only daughter, Tanya Linnegar, is a professional photographer who lives in New Orleans, Louisiana. This is Pearl's first book.
- Author(s)Pearl Harris
- Date of Publication12/12/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight254 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.