All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionSeeking ecomic improvement or a fresh start, following family or news of a land of opportunity, Norwegians left their homeland for America in great numbers in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. They settled in Pennsylvania and Illiis and moved on to Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, and the Dakotas, finding in the preire or praerie a promising and hospitable landscape and they wrote home about it.From these letters some published in newspapers or newsletters, most found on family farms and in homes held for generation after generation comes a polyphonic history of Norwegian immigration. Sent from towns and cities and rural outposts, from Chicago and Minneapolis (the Norwegian-American capital ), from Four Mile Prairie, Texas, and Coon Prairie, Wisconsin, from Hot Creek, Nevada, and Rock Creek, Iowa, and from Christiana, Wisconsin, to Christiania (w Oslo), Norway, these letters were concerned with matters from the price of postage to the question of picking up stakes and moving halfway around the world and afford an intimate view of the vast and varied experience of Norwegian immigrants settling in this country.In this volume, edited and translated by Orm Overland and covering the period from 1838 to 1870, Norwegian immigrants relate the successes, challenges, and sorrows of their new life to the communities they left behind.
- Author BiographyOrm Overland is professor emeritus of American literature at the University of Bergen in Norway. Among his books are The Western Home: A Literary History of Norwegian America and Immigrant Minds, American Identities: Making the United States Home, 1870-1930.
- PublisherUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationMinnesota
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Weight1043 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Translated byOrm Overland
- Foreword byTodd W. Nichol
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.