All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn blood-soaked lore handed down the centuries, the vampire is a monster of endless fascination: from Bram Stoker's Dracula to Buffy the Vampire Slayer , this seductive lover of blood haunts popular culture and inhabits our darkest imaginings. The history of the vampire is a compelling tale that is w documented in From Demons to Dracula , which reveals why the vampire myth and this creature of the undead fascinates us. Beresford's chronicle roams from the mountains of Eastern Europe, to the foggy streets of Victorian England, to Hollywood film, as he investigates the portrayal of the vampire in history, literature and art. Investigating the historical Dracula , Vlad the Impaler , and his status as a national hero in Romania, Beresford endeavours to winw out truths from the complex legend and folklore. From Demons to Dracula tracks the evolution of the vampire, drawing on classical Greek and Roman myths, witch trials and medieval plagues, Gothic literature and even contemporary works such as Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire and Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian . Beresford also looks at the widespread impact of screen vampires from television shows, classic movies starring Bela Lugosi and Christopher Lee, and more recent films such as Underworld and Blade . Whether as a demon of the underworld or a light-fearing hunter of humans, the vampire has endured through the centuries, the book reveals, as a powerful symbolic figure for human concerns with life, death and the afterlife. Wide-ranging and engrossing, From Demons to Dracula casts this bloodthirsty nightstalker as a remarkably complex and telling totem of our nightmares, real and imagined.
- Author BiographyMatthew Beresford is a writer and archaeologist based in Bolsover, Derbyshire.
- Author(s)Matthew Beresford
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication08/10/2008
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note50 black & white illustrations
- Weight299 g
- Width138 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.