All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionApart from its geographical import, the English Channel is also of legal importance serving as the divide between two distinct legal traditions. The sea, being the manifestation of this border, is also the symbolic arena for one of the most contentious modern distinctions between the Civilian and Common Law traditions, namely between good faith and utmost good faith in marine insurance. In essence this work is a critique of the English principle of utmost good faith. The author places Carter v Boehm in its Civilian context. The book includes a comprehensive collection of texts by Civilian writers on the topic of good faith in marine insurance in both the original version and translation.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Johan Hendrik Botes was born in Malmesbury (South Africa). He holds the B.A. (Philosophy and Latin, 1997) and LL.B (2001) degrees from the Universiteit van Stellenbosch (South Africa), a law certificate (2001) from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium) and the LL.M.-degree (2002) from the Shipping Law Unit of the University of Cape Town (South Africa). The author did part of his research for the LL.M. dissertation at the Humboldt-Universitat zu Berlin. After an internship at a Hamburg shipping law firm, the author was awarded a scholarship by the DAAD in 2003 for doctoral research at the See- und Seehandelsrechtsinstitut of the Universitat Hamburg. Currently the author is based in Cape Town where he specialises in maritime and shipping law.
- Author(s)Johan Hendrik Botes
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/09/2006
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Weight320 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.77Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.