All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.46
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $91.12
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.68
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $99.21
About this product
- DescriptionR?m?nuja, a well kwn religious figure of the medieval bhakti tradition, is remembered as a philosopher, social reformer and the most important ?c?rya of the ?r?vai??ava community of South India. This book analyses the delineation of R?m?nuja in the ?r?vai??ava hagiographies between twelfth and fourteenth centuries. These early hagiographical illustrations composed within the context of evolving community identity registered a process of canization and constructed specific historical memories that were disseminated to the subsequent generations and were further encrusted upon with fresh narratives. The modern biographies crucial for popularizing R?m?nuja outside the ?r?vai??ava community igred the variations of the hagiographical delineations and presented a seamless account of R?m?nuja's life, often overlooking the fact that the image of an individual is usually a result of accretions of motifs in history. Emphasizing the dialogic interaction between the hagiographies and biographies, this study argues that the hagiographies and biographies cant always be understood within the binaries of the sacred and the secular. Based upon a range of historical sources comprising the hagiographies, praise-poems (stotras) dedicated to R?m?nuja, inscriptions and modern works, this study will also analyse various moments of interactions in history when the structuring of the tion of a remembered past and the historical memories through which the past would become a received tradition was being attempted at.
- Author BiographyRanjeeta Dutta is Assistant Professor, Department of History and Culture, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
- Author(s)Ranjeeta Dutta
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication19/06/2014
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight388 g
- Width148 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.