All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith this practical book, you'll learn effective ways to engage students in reading and writing by teaching them narrative nfiction. By engaging adolescents in narrative, literary, or creative nfiction, they can cultivate a greater understanding of themselves, the world around them, and what it means to feel empathy for others. This book will guide you to first structure a reading unit around a narrative nfiction text, and then develop lessons and activities for students to craft their own personal essays. Topics include: * Engaging your students in the reading of a nfiction narrative with collaborative chapter tes, empathy check-ins, and a mini-research paper to deepen students' understanding; * Helping your students identify meaningful life events, recount their experiences creatively, and construct effective opening and closing lines for their personal essays; * Encouraging your students to use dialogue, outside research, and a clear plot structure to make their narrative nfiction more compelling and polished. The strategies in this book are supplemented by examples of student work and snapshots from the author's own classroom. The book also includes interviews with narrative nfiction writers MK Asante and Johanna Bear. The appendices offer additional tips for using narrative nfiction in English class, text and online resources for teaching narrative nfiction, and a correlation chart between the activities in this book and the Common Core Standards.
- Author BiographyJason Griffith is a National Board Certified teacher and a National Writing Project Fellow who taught middle and high school English for 12 years in Carlisle, PA. He is currently a Teaching Associate and PhD Student (English Education) at Arizona State University and an Adjunct Instructor at Pennsylvania State University, Harrisburg.
- Author(s)Jason Griffith
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication05/09/2016
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note24 black & white illustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.60New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.25Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.