All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Palace to Power: an IIlustrated history of Whitehall is the 400-year story -- in contemporary pictures, maps and photographs, as well as letters and diaries -- of the historical transformation of The Street' recognised throughout the world as a symbol of Government. The illustrations have been gathered from diverse sources: some hang as oil paintings in the corridors of power, kwn only to the privileged who occupy these offices. Others have been gleaned from contemporary journals, old sepia prints and postcards from the early days of the camera. Extended captions to the 120 illustrations, the 8-page coloured plate section, map endpapers -- as well as a select bibliography, chrology, list of statues in Whitehall, and index -- make this book easy to read and follow for the historian and the browser. In this new work, which has taken five years to research, Susan Foreman has created a vivid image of how the most pre-eminent street in Britain has changed, and how the political fortunes of its dramatis personae have left their mark.
- Author BiographySusan Foreman is an author and an expert on Whitehall.
- Author(s)Susan Foreman
- PublisherSussex Academic Press
- Date of Publication01/01/1995
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationBrighton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Alpha Press Ltd
- Content Note120 illus, 8 colour plates
- Weight1050 g
- Width270 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.