All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy the almost daily anuncements of new public health threats and proclamations of impending crises? Bennett and DiLorenzo begin by examining the public health bureaucracy, its preoccupation with expanding governmental programs, and its concern with political issues that too often have little to do with improving public health. Then they trace the evolution of the American public health movement from its founding after the Civil War to the 1950s. They describe the transformation of public health's focus from the eradication of disease to social policy as a by-product of the 1960s. Bennett and DiLorenzo include case studies of the politicization of the public health movement in America. The authors reveal methods of statistical manipulation that certain public health researchers use to achieve politically correct results. A final chapter discusses the implications of the transformation of public health from pathology to politics.This vigorously argued analysis sees the public health movement as claiming expertise on virtually every social issue, from poverty to human rights. Students of public policy and public health officials, along with readers interested in public health issues, will find this absorbing reading.
- Author BiographyJames T. Bennett is professor of economics at George Mason University. He is the founder and editor of the Journal of Labor Research and author of many books including Homeland Security Scams, The Food and Drink Police (with Thomas J. DiLorenzo), and Tax-Funded Politics. Thomas J. DiLorenzo is research fellow at the Independent Institute and professor of economics at Loyola College in Maryland. He is co-author of Cancerscam, The Food and Drink Police, and Public Health Profiteering (all with James T. Bennett).
- Author(s)James T. Bennett,Thomas J. DiLorenzo
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication15/08/2008
- SubjectMedicine: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight262 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.