All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.32Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionThis mograph is an investigation of cliticization processes attested throughout Otfrid von Weissenburg's Old High German Evangelienbuch.Its central argument may be simply stated: attestations such as meg ih (< mag ih) 'I am able to,' theiz (< thaz iz) 'that it,' and wolt er (< wolta er) 'he wanted' comprise a host and clitic and are all manifestations of one unified process of cliticization.Establishing the crucial elements of the argument, however, requires that we reach beyond a phological and prosodic account of the cliticization process.In order to show that attested clitic groups are actively produced, as opposed to lexically listed or grammaticalized, this work examines Otfridian clause structure, an analysis that provides an alternative to the more traditional treatment of clitics within the framework of grammaticalization theory.Finally, as the Evangelienbuch is a work of poetry, the effect of the meter on cliticization patterns is also addressed.
- Author BiographyKaterina Somers Wicka, University of Georgia, USA.
- Author(s)Katerina Somers Wicka,Katerina Wicka Somers
- PublisherDe Gruyter
- Date of Publication01/08/2009
- Series TitleLinguistische Arbeiten
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 530
- Place of PublicationTubingen
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintMax Niemeyer Verlag GmbH & Co KG
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight256 g
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Interest AgeCollege Graduate Student
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.