All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Resource Scarcity to Ecological Security revisits the findings of The Global 2000 Report to the President -- commissioned by President Jimmy Carter in 1977 -- and presents an up-to-date overview, informed by the earlier projections, of such critical topics as population, water, food, energy, climate change, deforestation, and biodiversity. It examines current environmental trends in order to consider the state of the global environment over the next thirty years and discusses what can be done w to achieve ecological security. The authors of From Resource Scarcity to Ecological Security find that the world population will likely continue to level off, but the population decline in many industrialized countries will create new socioecomic and political problems -- including the reverse demographic shock of disproportionately large aging populations. Although world food production is likely to increase at a rate that keeps up with population growth, greater demand in China as well as distributional issues will keep significant numbers of people malurished. In addition to these continuing scarcity issues, ecological insecurity may increase because of new threats that include global warming, loss of biodiversity, bioinvasion, and the rapid worldwide growth of new diseases. The book t only analyzes the nature of these impending problems but suggests ways to solve them.
- Author BiographyKen Cousins is a doctoral student at the University of Maryland.
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication21/06/2005
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleGlobal Environmental Accord: Strategies for Sustainability and Institutional Innovation
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note17 illus.
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byDennis Pirages,Ken Cousins
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.