All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the wake of the fiftieth anniversary of the historic sit-in at Woolworth s lunch counter by four North Carolina A&T college students, From Sit-Ins to SNCC brings together the work of leading civil rights scholars to offer a new and groundbreaking perspective on student-oriented activism in the 1960s.The substantive essays in this collection t only delineate the role of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) over the course of the struggle for African American civil rights, but also offer an updated perspective on the development and impact of the sit-in movement in light of new research into organizational records and the personal papers of key actors. The contributors provide provocative analyses of such topics as the dynamics of grassroots student civil rights activism, the organizational and cultural changes within SNCC, the impact of the sit-ins on the white South, the evolution of black nationalist ideology within the student movement, works of fiction written by movement activists, and the changing international outlook of student-organized civil rights movements.
- Author BiographyIwan Morgan is professor of U.S. studies and head of U.S. programs at the Institute of the Americas at University College London, and the author of numerous books including The Age of Deficits. Philip Davies, director of the British Library s Eccles Center for American Studies, has written widely on U.S. politics and is coeditor of America s Americans: Population Issues in U.S. Politics and Society.
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication15/08/2012
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byIwan Morgan,Philip Davies
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.