All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionJoin Nola McKey, former editor at Texas Highways, on a journey through Texas history-through food! In this collection of morethan one hundred recipes, Texans share the dishes they inheritedfrom their ancestors and the family stories and traditionsthat accompany them. With a strong focus on Texas' culturaldiversity-featuring Polish cheese pie, Czech sauerkraut, Chinesefried rice, Mexican caldo, Italian pizzelle, African American purple hull peas, and German egg odles-McKey documents theculinary impact of immigrants from around the globe. But thisbook is t for foodies alone; history enthusiasts will appreciatethe snapshots of daily Texan life, captured in the narrativesaccompanying the recipes and spanning more than a century. Toldprimarily in the words of today's cooks, these multigenerationalfamily memories can take anyone on a trip down memory lane,back to a beloved grandmother's kitchen or great-aunt's holidaytable. Included are recommendations for Texas museums andfestivals where interested readers can learn more about many ofthe foods and cultures featured in this book. Additionally, McKeyprovides tips for preserving your own family recipes and forrecording the heritage surrounding a special dish. Illustrated withfamily photos and original watercolors by Cora McKown, FromTea Cakes to Tamales will quickly itself become a Texan familyheirloom.
- Author BiographyNola McKey, a former senior editor with Texas Highways, is the editor of the book Cooking with Texas Highways and previously worked as assistant foods editor at Southern Living magazine. She lives in Austin, Texas, USA.
- Author(s)Nola McKey
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication30/05/2016
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Series TitleClayton Wheat Williams Texas Life Series
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Note8 colour, 70 black & white photographs, line drawing, 39 watercolours
- Weight771 g
- Width203 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Illustrator(s)Cora McKown
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.