All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWilliam C. Van Horne, a true titan of North American business, started his railroad career at the age of 12 working various jobs for the Michigan Central, and crowned it by becoming the president of the Canadian Pacific. He is credited with opening Cuba's interior by means of railway, greatly expanding Canada's interests by launching the sea transport division of the Canadian Pacific-with regular luxury liner service between Vancouver and Hong Kong-and completing Canada's first transcontinental railway. Van Horne was knighted by Queen Victoria for his contributions to Canadian Unity and, more recently, was named Laureate of the Century by the Canadian Business Hall of Fame. A man of many talents, Van Horne was also Canada's premier art collector and one of its leading financiers. In From Telegrapher to Titan, Valerie Kwles delivers a gripping account of this larger-than-life figure.
- Author BiographyValerie Knowles is author of several books, including Strangers at Our Gates: Canadian Immigration and Immigration Policy, 1540-2006.
- Author(s)Valerie Knowles
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication03/08/2010
- SubjectBiography: Business
- Series TitleRailroads Past & Present
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note18 b&w illus.
- Weight749 g
- Width163 mm
- Height221 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byGeorge M. Smerk,Rick Morgan
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.