All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom its first appearance in 1939 with a group of men kcking on pots and pans to the 1951 Trinidad All-Steel Percussion Orchestra (TASPO), steelband has fascinated the world. Relying largely on oral histories, this work investigates and documents the different technical, musical and organisational steps by which the steelband movement was born and grew to maturity. This study is a radical break with the approach to cultural creativity in general and music of the African diaspora in particular, emphasising the role of individual agency, microsociology and aesthetic values. This contrasts with the resistance school of thought, which views music as an automatic reaction to oppression rather than a deliberate attempt to satisfy aesthetic needs and impulses. The minute biographical and psychological details provide a unique theory of creolisation and chart its relationship to African retentions, based on empirical data. This authoritative study will appeal to both the general reader interested in the origins of steelband and to scholars concerned with the creolisation of African and European cultures and Caribbean creativity.
- Author BiographyKim Johnson is Senior Research Fellow of the Academy of Arts and Letters, University of Trinidad and Tobago. He has published extensively on the history and culture of Trinidad and Tobago, topics on which he now makes documentary films. He received the 2011 Anthony N. Sabga Caribbean Awards for Excellence in Arts and Letters, largely for his research into the steelband movement.
- Author(s)Kim Johnson
- PublisherUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Date of Publication15/02/2013
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationKingston
- Country of PublicationJamaica
- ImprintUniversity of the West Indies Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.97Trending at AU $53.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.