All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a narrative of the myths and legends in children's literature in Zimbabwe. Children still listen to legendary and mythical tales, especially in rural communities, they w also have the opportunity to read the same stories after some have been adapted to children's literature. In African legends, the lion, the elephant and the baboon are the foils and dupes, whose strength and fierceness are match for the nimble wits of the little hare and the wisdom of the tortoise. There are even stories of animals that help humans. According to the people of the Zambezi Valley, the Nyaminyami-a dragon-like creature with a snake's torso and the head of a fish-protected them and fed them from his own meat in times of hunger. The Manyika people of the Honde Valley claim that a mermaid that resides at Chirikuutsi Pool gives healing powers to anyone who disappears into the pool. Among the Shona tribes, the ancestral spirit is central and resides in the mountain caves where their chiefs are buried. The ancestral spirit has the power to remove obstacles and provide opportunities. All ceremonies begin and end with the ancestral spirit because communication with God can exist without first appeasing the ancestral spirit. The Shona have a dual belief system, where their devout Christianity exists side by side with ather, older set of religious beliefs that concern the spirit world. Thus, the traditional narrative in From the Cradle to the Bonfire embodies beliefs of the Sna people. This book will help children to sharpen their creativity and imagination, to mould their behaviour, to train their intellect and to regulate their emotions.
- Author(s)Jacob Chikuhwa
- PublisherAmerica Star Books
- Date of Publication14/09/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerica Star Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight109 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.