Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Bill Clinton signed an Executive Order on Environmental Justice in 1994, the phemen of environmental racism-the disproportionate impact of environmental hazards, particularly toxic waste dumps and polluting factories, on people of color and low-income communities-gained unprecedented recognition. Behind the President's signature, however, lies a remarkable tale of grassroots activism and political mobilization. Today, thousands of activists in hundreds of locales are fighting for their children, their communities, their quality of life, and their health. From the Ground Up critically examines one of the fastest growing social movements in the United States, the movement for environmental justice. Tracing the movement's roots, Luke Cole and Sheila Foster combine long-time activism with powerful storytelling to provide gripping case studies of communities across the U.S-towns like Kettleman City, California; Chester, Pennsylvania; and Dilkon, Arizona-and their struggles against corporate polluters. The authors effectively use social, ecomic and legal analysis to illustrate the historical and contemporary causes for environmental racism. Environmental justice struggles, they demonstrate, transform individuals, communities, institutions and even the nation as a whole.
- Author BiographyLuke Cole is Director of the California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation's Center on Race, Poverty, and the Environment. Sheila Foster is Associate Professor at Rutgers University School of Law, Camden.
- Author(s)Luke W. Cole,Sheila R. Foster
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2000
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleCritical America Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight475 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.