About this product
- DescriptionIn the rapidly-evolving landscape of neurosciences, it is easy task to select a limited array of topics to present in a text such as this. The current volume takes as its purpose to provide a representative survey of the current science of brain repair for those seeking to establish a foundation in the field or to replenish a prior kwledge base that may have lapsed in its currency. It also hopes to offer insights into what remains elusive to our collective investigations, defining the frontiers of brain repair for those that are currently immersed in the exciting intersection of biological advances and neuroscientific discoveries. In Chapter 1 the fundamentals of imaging transplanted cells is discussed with emphasis on animal models as well as the horizon for clinical trials. Then, detailed methods on the culture of neural stem cells is reviewed as a foundation for approaching therapeutic goals. Chapter 3 presents the broad scope of animal models that serve as the foundation for developmental and pre-clinical investigation, with mention of recent genetically engineered mouse models that represent the best models for studying disease development and treatment. Chapter 4 provides background on the delivery techniques to animals and patients that are available, providing vital information on the subtleties of technique necessary for optimal cellular grafting. Chapters 5 and 6 discuss new and evolving information on the origins of brain tumors and the indelible role of stromal and microenvironmental influences on oncogenesis and tumor progression. Subsequently, the utility of neural stem cells as cellular vehicles to deliver chemotherapeutics to broad neuropathology is reviewed. In Chapter 8 the scope of treating brain tumors is expanded beyond stem cells, to present the best biological interventions to improve upon current treatment options for brain malignancy. The last two chapters present a comprehensive review on stem cell and gene therapy options for treating cerebrovascular and neurovascular pathology. In amassing this collection, my intention has been to provide the reader with a broad introduction into molecular imaging, stem cell biology, cell therapy, animal models, central nervous system malignancies, stroke, and neurodegeneration. My hope is that Frontiers of Brain Repair will be the intellectual soil from which a deeply rooted and well-urished vintage of neuroscience will arise.
- Author BiographyRAHUL JANDIAL, MD, PhD, is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery at City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Beckman Research Institute in Los Angeles, California. His clinical practice focuses on the surgical and medical care of patients with brain and spine tumors. In the laboratory his team investigates the intersection of stem cell biology and neuro oncology, specifically identifying the cells from which brain tumors arise and whether treatment resistant cells can be selectively targeted to help patients live longer. A prolific author, Jandial has authored/edited 7 books and over 35 papers. He lives with his wife Danielle and their 3 sons Zain, Kai, and Ronak.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication17/02/2010
- SubjectSurgery: Professional
- Series TitleAdvances in Experimental Medicine and Biology
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 671
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note3 black & white tables, biography
- Weight408 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byRahul Jandial
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $18.62New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
- AU $24.96New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.92New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $32.17New
- AU $20.04New
- AU $20.03New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $22.75
- AU $31.07Trending at AU $31.93
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.07
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $41.88Trending at AU $42.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.