All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrugal Poets Guide to Life is part personal journey, part life-coaching for poets (or those who d like to live like one), part creativity guide, and part reference, with a special section on the modern history of the Chicago poetry scene, including the birth of the poetry slam. In many ways, this book is an anti-MFA guide to being a poet or any other type of creative person. As poet Robert Frost said, To be a poet is a condition, t a profession. Some of Gallaher s more personal sections of the book trace dating a well-kwn underground comics artist dinner at a Denny s restaurant with an Academy Award Best Actor -- seeing a UFO in central Wisconsin a night when poet and men s movement icon Robert Bly was tarred & feathered at a poetry reading -- play rehearsals at David Mamet s Chicago theater featuring then-unkwn actor William H. Macy how she met her poet husband, Carlos -- reflections on Gallaher s family relative, artist and member of the Algonquin Round Table, Neysa McMein -- visits and stays at a variety of writers colonies around the country -- and celebrating how friend Sandra Cisneros launched an international literary career starting with a little eight-poem chapbook at a humble bookstore in a Chicago Puerto Rican neighborhood.
- Author BiographyCynthia Gallaher is a Chicago-based published poet with three full collections of poetry, Night Ribbons (Polar Bear Press), Swimmer s Prayer (Missing Spoke Press) and Earth Elegance (March Abrazo Press), and two chapbooks, Private, On Purpose (Mulberry Press) and Omnivore Odes (Finishing Line Press). The Chicago Public Library lists her among its Top 10 Requested Chicago Poets and Today s Chicago Woman magazine named her one of 100 Women Making a Difference. Most recently, she became a certified yoga instructor, and is completing a new manuscript of food and medicinal herb poems, Botanical Bandwidth.
- Author(s)Cynthia Gallaher
- Date of Publication14/07/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight408 g
- Width137 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Other
Save on Other
- AU $34.04Trending at AU $49.76
- AU $44.25Trending at AU $48.47
- AU $17.94Trending at AU $27.22
- AU $18.68Trending at AU $20.99
- AU $14.22Trending at AU $25.86
- AU $23.05Trending at AU $25.91
- AU $21.08Trending at AU $23.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.