All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the most ambitious legacies of the 20th century was the universal commitment to ensure freedom from want as a human right. How far have we progressed; to what extent are countries across the world living up to this commitment? This book charts new territory in examining the extent to which countries meet their obligations to progressively realize social and ecomic rights - the rights to education, food, health, housing, work and social security. States have long escaped accountability for these commitments by claiming inadequate resources. The authors develop an invative evidence based index, the Social & Ecomic Rights Fulfillment (SERF) Index and Achievement Possibilities Frontier methodology, making possible for the first time apples-to-apples comparisons of performance across very differently situated countries and over time. The book provides an overall global picture of progress, regress and disparities amongst and within countries and explores the factors influencing performance - including whether treaty and legal commitments, gender equity, democracy/autocracy, and ecomic growth, explain good performance - revealing surprising results. The data provide empirical evidence to resolve some long standing controversies over the principle of 'progressive realization'. The book concludes by observing how the SERF Index can be used in evidence based social science research, policy making and accountability procedures to advance social and ecomic rights. By defying the boundaries of traditional research disciplines, this work fundamentally advances our kwledge about the status of and factors promoting social and ecomic rights fulfillment at the dawn of the 21st century.
- Author BiographySakiko Fukuda-Parr is Professor of International Affairs at The New School. Terra Lawson-Remer is Assistant Professor of International Affairs and Economics at The New School. Susan Randolph is Associate Professor of Economics at the University of Connecticut.
- Author(s)Sakiko Fukuda-Parr,Susan Randolph,Terra Lawson-Remer
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication19/02/2015
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note36 illustrations
- Weight398 g
- Width170 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.