All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.84Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.41Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionAcross Africa, funerals and events remembering the dead have become larger and even more numerous over the years. Whereas in the West death is rmally a private and family affair, in Africa funerals are often the central life cycle event, unparalleled in cost and importance, for which families harness vast amounts of resources to host lavish events for multitudes of people with ramifications well beyond the event. Though officials may try to regulate them, the popularity of these events often makes such efforts fruitless, and the elites themselves spend tremendously on funerals. This volume brings together scholars who have conducted research on funerary events across sub-Saharan Africa. The contributions offer an in-depth understanding of the broad changes and underlying causes in African societies over the years, such as changes in religious beliefs, social structure, urbanization, and techlogical changes and health.
- Author BiographyMichael Jindra is an Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Anthropology and a visiting research scholar in the Center for the Study of Religion and Society at the University of Notre Dame. He has published in journals such as Africa, Sociology of Religion, Anthropological Forum, and Society and has also contributed chapters to a number of books. His current research focuses on the connection between lifestyle diversity, culture, and inequality in the US. JoA l Noret is Assistant Professor of anthropology at the Universite libre de Bruxelles, Belgium. He has been conducting fieldwork in southern Benin since the beginning of the 2000s. His publications include the co-edited special issue of Gradhiva, Memoire de l'esclavage au BeninA (with Gaetano Ciarcia, 2008), and his monograph, Deuil et funerailles dans le Benin meridional. Enterrer a tout prix (Brussels, 2010), and Mort et dynamiques sociales au Katanga (with Pierre Petit, Paris, 2011).
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication01/10/2011
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note20 ills
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJoel Noret,Michael Jindra
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.