All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMichael Chabon once said, I scan the tables of contents of magazines, looking for Antonya Nelson's name, hoping that she has decided to bless us again. And w she has blessed us again, with a bounty of the stories for which she is so beloved. Her stories are clear-eyed, hard-edged, beautifully formed. In the title story, Funny Once, a couple held together by bad behavior fall into a lie with their more responsible friends. In The Village, a woman visits her father at a nursing home, recalling his equanimity at her teenage misdeeds and gaining a new understanding of his own past indiscretions. In ather, when a troubled girl in the neighborhood goes missing, a mother worries increasingly about her teenage son's relationship with a bad-news girlfriend. In the vella Three Wishes, siblings muddle through in the aftermath of their elder brother's too-early departure from the world. The landscape of this book is the wide open spaces of Kansas, Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado. Throughout, there is the pervasive desire to drink to forget, to have sex with the wrong people, to hit the road and figure out later where to stop for the night. These characters are aging, regretting actions both taken and t, inhabiting their extended adolescences as best they can. And in Funny Once, their flawed humanity is made beautiful, perfectly observed by one of America's best short story writers.
- Author BiographyAntonya Nelson is the author of nine books of fiction, including the collections Female Trouble and Nothing Right, and the novels Talking in Bed, Nobody's Girl, and Bound. Her work has appeared in the New Yorker, Esquire, Harper's, and many other magazines. She is a recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship, an NEA grant, and, recently, the Rea Award for Short Fiction. Nelson lives in New Mexico, Colorado, and Texas, where she holds the Cullen Chair in Creative Writing at the University of Houston.
- Author(s)Antonya Nelson
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication20/05/2014
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Weight440 g
- Width149 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.20Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.07Trending at AU $49.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.