Gaddafi's Harem: The Story of a Young Woman and the Abuses of Power in Libya by Annick Cojean (Hardback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $17.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSoraya was just fifteen, a schoolgirl in the coastal town of Sirte, when she was given the hor of presenting a bouquet of flowers to Colonel Gaddafi, the Guide, on a visit he was making to her school the following week. This one meeting--a presentation of flowers, a pat on the head from Gaddafi--changed Soraya's life forever. Soon afterwards, she was summoned to Bab al-Azizia, Gaddafi's palatial compound near Tripoli, where she joined a number of young women who were violently abused, raped and degraded by Gaddafi. Heartwrenchingly tragic but ultimately redemptive, Soraya's story is the first one of many that are just w beginning to be heard. But sex and rape remain the highest taboo in Libya, and women like Soraya (whose identity is protected by a pseudonym here) risk being disowned or even killed by their dishored family members. In Gaddafi's Harem, an instant bestseller on publication in France, where it has already sold more than 100,000 copies in hardcover, Le Monde special correspondent Annick Cojean gives a voice to Soraya's story, and supplements her investigation into Gaddafi's abuses of power through interviews with people who knew Soraya, as well as with other women who were abused by Gaddafi.
- Author BiographyAnnick Cojean, special correspondent for Le Monde, is one of France's most widely admired journalists. She chairs the committee for the Prix Albert Londres, the French equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize, and won the prize herself in 1996. She is the author of several books.
- Author(s)Annick Cojean
- PublisherGrove Press / Atlantic Monthly Press
- Date of Publication29/08/2013
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGrove Press / Atlantic Monthly Press
- Weight454 g
- Width147 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Translated byMarjolijn de Jager
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.