All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEmille Galle was one of the great names of the Art Nouveau movement in France, and founder of the famous Ecole de Nancy. A polymath and committed social activist, he was best kwn for his glasswork and faience. Furniture became his third discipline after experimenting with the manufacture of wooden bases on which he could mount his glass vases. Following the French tradition of furniture decoration kwn as marqueterie, his work is characterised by its meticulous decorative veneers, stained with subtle organic dyes; and panels inlaid with stunningly intricate country scenes and flowers. This important book outlines all of Galle's major works of furniture, from the pieces uniques that were designed for an exclusive clientele, to those displayed between 1889 and 1904 at the annual Paris Salons and two World Expositions. The recent emergence of many of his objets de luxe enables the reader to understand many of his pieces for the first time. Written by Decorative Arts specialist Alastair Duncan, 'Galle Furniture' documents the history of Galle's furniture production from his favourite motifs to the ways in which he used furniture design to express his social and political ideals. Duncan includes an encyclopedic range of models created in the Galle Workshops both during and after his lifetime. Beautifully illustrated, and containing translations of Galle's 'Notes to the Juries' of the World Expositions, this stunning publication will leave the reader captivated by this remarkable expression of the new art that changed the European aesthetic forever.
- Author BiographyAlastair Duncan, an officer and then consultant of Christie's, New York, for fourteen years (1977-1990), is an independent consultant for 19th and 20th Century Decorative Arts. While full-time at Christie's, he organised and catalogued scores of sales devoted to Art Nouveau, Art Deco, and Victorian works of art. Then and since, Mr. Duncan has travelled throughout the United States, the Far East, Europe, and South America to appraise, assemble and sell collections from the period. Mr Duncan has written many articles, exhibition catalogues and books, including several for the Antique Collectors' Club, including Louis C. Tiffany: Garden Museum Collection, Tiffany Lamps and Metalware and the Paris Salons series.
- Author(s)Alastair Duncan,Georges de Bartha
- PublisherACC Art Books
- Date of Publication29/08/2012
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationWoodbridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintACC Art Books
- Content Note449 Colour, 271 b&w
- Weight2381 g
- Width237 mm
- Height300 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.