Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $20.71
About this product
- DescriptionWhy was the Allied naval assault of February/March 1915 so unsuccessful? Did the Ottoman Turks have kwledge of the Allied landings of 25 April 1915? And did Sir Ian Hamilton, the overall commander of the Allied forces at Gallipoli, really make a mistake in his intervention at Suvla? These questions and the key issue of why the Ottoman Turks won the 1915 Gallipoli campaign, or why the Allies lost it, have never been satisfactorily answered. This new history of the Gallipoli campaign aims to answer them, while also telling the story of what actually happened through the voices of British, Australian and Turkish soldiers. In order to properly understand the bloody events of 1915, Tim Travers is the first historian of Gallipoli to use the general Staff Ottoman archives in Ankara to tell the other side of the story. Wide-ranging research in the Turkish archives as well as those in Australia, Britain, France and New Zealand, plus a significant newly discovered German source, has produced a startling new interpretation of the 1915 conflict. Moving from a study of the Western Front, Tim Travers has produced a challenging analysis of the enduring mysteries of the Gallipoli campaign.
- Author BiographyTim Travers is professor of history at the University of Calgary in Canada. His great-uncle, Major Hugh Price-Travers, was killed in action at Gallipoli and the author has dedicated the last five years to finding out what really went wrong for the Allies in 1915. He lives in Alberta, Canada.
- Author(s)Tim Travers
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication18/05/2009
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight450 g
- Width120 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.