All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough they were originally considered an American phemen, gangs today have grown and transformed into global enterprises. Despite these changes, crimilogists have t yet reassessed worldwide gangs in terms of the other changes associated with globalization. John M. Hagedorn aims to correct this oversight by incorporating important theoretical advances in urban political ecomy and understanding changes in gangs around the world as a result of globalization and the growth of the information ecomy. Contrary to older conceptions, today's gangs are international, are often institutionalized, and may be explicitly concerned with race and ethnicity. Gangs in the Global City presents the work of an assortment of international scholars that challenges traditional approaches to problems in crimilogy from many different perspectives and includes theoretical discussions, case studies, and examinations of gang members' identities. The contributors consider gangs t as fundamentally a crime problem but as variable social organizations in poor communities that are transitioning to the new ecomy.
- Author BiographyJohn M. Hagedorn is an associate professor of criminal justice and a Great Cities Institute Fellow at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He is the author of Forsaking Our Children: Bureaucracy and Reform in the Child Welfare System and other books.
- PublisherUniversity of Illinois Press
- Date of Publication27/12/2006
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Illinois Press
- Content Note0
- Weight549 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine712 mm
- Edited byJohn M. Hagedorn
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.