All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUniversally kwn as the winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2000, Gao Xingjian is also an artist whose work is exhibited all over the world. Born in China in 1940, he was introduced to the arts as a boy by his mother who was an actress. He worked as a translator while painting and writing, becoming well-kwn in Beijing for his avant-garde plays. During the Cultural Revolution, he was sent to a re-education camp for the radical views expressed in his theatre. After the events of Tiananmen Square, he left China for France. Today he lives in Paris and works as a painter, critic, playwright and opera librettist. His best-selling vels are Soul Mountain (1995) and One Mans Bible (2000). Aesthetics and Creation, his main work on art and literary creativity, was published in English in 2012. This stunning book showcases for the first time two decades of Gao Xingjians oeuvre. In his brilliant and instructive text, Daniel Bergez demonstrates how Chinese Daoism, the Chinese literati painting tradition, Western minimalism and Modernism find echoes in Gao Xingjians masterful ink-wash paintings. Drawing from Soul Mountain and interviews with the artist, Bergez offers telling insights into these stunning enigmatic paintings, guiding viewers to form their own interpretation of the works.
- Author BiographyDaniel Bergez is an author, painter, literary and art critic, and professor of French literature. His books on the relationship between pictorial and literary creation, including Litterature et peinture ( Literature and Painting ), are authorities in the field. Sherry Buchanan is a publisher, editor, and author. Before she created Asia Ink, she worked for the Wall Street Journal and The International Herald Tribune in Brussels, Paris, London, and Hong Kong.
- Author(s)Daniel Bergez,Sherry Buchanan
- PublisherAsia Ink
- Date of Publication11/11/2013
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAsia Ink
- Content Note200 colour illustrations
- Weight2280 g
- Width277 mm
- Height318 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.