All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the second volume in Manuel Scorza's five-part velistic cycle entitled La guerra silenciosa (The Silent War). In his saga, Scorza describes an Andean peasant uprising that he witnessed in the 1960's. Although many of the names, places, dates, and events are real, the author fictionalizes his testimonial by adding humor, myth, and fantasy. Garabombo, the vel's titular protagonist, is modeled on Fermin Espiza, an Indian whom Scorza knew personally. Although the fictionalized portrait adheres rather closely to its model, Scorza endows the velistic Garabombo with the attribute of a symbolic invisibility.
- Author BiographyThe Translator: Dr. Anna-Marie Aldaz was born in Budapest, Hungary, and received her Ph.D. in Comparative Literature from the University of Oregon. She taught English literature in Brazil and is currently an associate professor at Northern Arizona University (Flagstaff, Arizona). Her academic honors include membership in Phi Beta Kappa and an award for outstanding teaching from the Arizona Foreign Languages Association. She contributed several entries to Women Writers of Spain and is the co-author of Poems, a book of English translations of poems by Rosalia de Castro. Her most recent publication is The Past of the Future: The Novelistic Cycle of Manuel Scorza, (Peter Lang, 1990).
- Author(s)Manuel Scorza
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/04/1994
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies Series 22: Latin American Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number22
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1994
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight510 g
- Translated byAnna-Marie Aldaz
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.