All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGardens of Hell examines the human side of one of the great tragedies of modern warfare, the Gallipoli campaign of the First World War. In February 1915, beginning with a naval attack on Turkey in the Dardanelles, a combined force of British, Australian, New Zealand, Indian, and French troops invaded the Gallipoli Peninsula only to face crushing losses and an igminious retreat from what seemed a hopeless mission. Both sides in the battle suffered huge casualties, with a combined 127,000 servicemen killed during the action. Patrick Gariepy has pieced together the battle from combatants' own words. Drawn from diaries and letters and from stories passed down through generations of families, these firsthand accounts offer an honest, heartfelt, and sometimes painful testimony to a doomed campaign fought by the men who lived through the fury, terror, and grief that was Gallipoli. Gardens of Hell is a sensitive ackwledgment of the ermous human cost of military folly and failure.
- Author BiographyPatrick Gariepy (1963-2012) served in the U.S. Army in Military Intelligence and as a German interpreter. He spent twenty-six years gathering information from families of men who had died at Gallipoli, as well as from numerous archives. His work has been featured on National Public Radio's Weekend Edition and on television and radio programs across the United States, Australia, and New Zealand.
- Author(s)Patrick Gariepy
- PublisherPotomac Books Inc
- Date of Publication21/08/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationDulles
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPotomac Books Inc
- Content Note16 photographs
- Weight717 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.