All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRussia, Winston Churchill said, is an enigma wrapped in a riddle buried in a mystery. But longer! In his own words, one of Russia's billionaire businessmen, fertilizer tycoon Oleg 'Oli' Garkhov, takes us inside contemporary Russia and explains everything you ever wanted to kw about this vast and confusing country. Learn how to raise children and catch tigers, understand the difference between the rule of law and dictatorship of the law, see why transparent corporate governance is irrelevant, observe the beginning of the anti-Putin youth movement, savor new Russian interior design, and master the secret of being a famous lover to beautiful Russian girls. Oli Garkhov takes us on an inside tour of life in Russia's political, business and social scenes. While searching for a suitable new wife, who can mix successfully with the smart set (there's something t quite class eugh about lap-dancers), and wrestling with the problems of his children, Boris (Old Etonian - but is he a drug dealer or an up and coming businessman?) and Masha (why is she obsessed with overthrowing President Putin and is she really a lesbian?), Garkhov confronts the everyday challenges of keeping his business empire, aided by his faithful chief executive, Misha (you'd be grateful too, if you'd been rescued from Safava) while hampered by his American adviser on corporate governance, Mike (did he learn thing of value at all at Harvard?). At least he can count on the dedicated service of his murderous head of security, Pavel (or can he, w that Pavel thinks he is a reincarnated poodle?). Along the way learn why the Russian government is paralyzed, why you don't have to be a spy to be a spy, and why Gorbachev's failure to understand fertilizers led to the collapse of the Soviet Union. This is the remarkable account of one man's chaotic life.
- Author BiographyStephen Dewar is Irish and has lived and worked in Russia since early 1996. During this period he has been bugged, followed by various security services, nearly deliberately murdered by police special forces, threatened with murder on other occasions, and formally accused of being a spy selling the secrets of travel agents to western intelligence services. Despite these problems he is happily married to a Russian girl. Most of this time he was an economic development consultant to Russian government ministries at national and regional level, except when he was unemployed or when he tried his hand as a business news reporter and then strategy adviser to the Chief Executive at Russia Today (the Russian state-owned 24/7 English-language satellite TV news channel). He has also acted in American, British and Russian movies and TV series, been dialogue coach to an international cast of film actors and actresses on another film, practiced lifestyle journalism, copy-editing corporate brochures and publications, and working with the Ministry of Education on an interactive multimedia English language teaching course, so the next generation of Russian schoolchildren will sound just like him. He took a year out of Russia to run two projects for the United Nations Development Programme in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, dealing with the socio-economic redevelopment of post-civil war zones. Previously he has been an academic, farmer, small businessman, public servant, editor/journalist and, briefly, the chief executive-designate of an African safari and hunting company. He has edited, written and contributed to a number of academic books and monographs on Russian and EU-Russian issues and has written numerous articles for a variety of magazines and newspapers in Russia, Europe and the United States. He is 64.
- Author(s)Stephen Dewar
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHumour: Collections & General
- Place of PublicationScotts Valley, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight390 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.