All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
About this product
- DescriptionThe ise gathered from a lifetime of engaging with war, race, religion, memory, illness, and family echoes through the vignettes, quotations, graffiti, and poetry that Donald Anderson musters here, fragments of the humor and horror of life, the absurdities that mock reason and the despair that yields laughter. Gathering Noise from My Life offers sonic shards of a tune at once jaunty and pessimistic, hopeful and hopeless, and a model for how we can make sense of the scraps of our lives. 'We are where we've been and what we've read,' the author says, and gives us his youth in Montana, the family tradition of boxing, careers in writing and fighting, the words of Mike Tyson, Frederick the Great, Fran Lebowitz, and Shakespeare. In his camouflaged memoir, the award-winning short-story writer cobbles together the sources of the vision of life he has accrued as a consequence of his six decades of living and reading.
- Author BiographyDonald Anderson is a professor of English and Writer in Residence at the U.S. Air Force Academy. The editor of the journal War, Literature and the Arts, he has published several books, including Fire Road (Iowa, 2001), which won the John Simmons Short Fiction Award, and the edited collections When War Becomes Personal: Soldiers' Accounts from the Civil War to Iraq (Iowa, 2008), Andre Dubus: Tributes, and aftermath: an anthology of post-vietnam fiction. At the invitation of the National Endowment for the Arts, he served on the panel that selected the contributions to Operation Homecoming: Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Home Front, in the Words of U.S. Troops and Their Families.
- Author(s)Donald Anderson
- PublisherUniversity of Iowa Press
- Date of Publication15/08/2012
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationIowa
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Iowa Press
- Width146 mm
- Height229 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.