All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Gathering the Family the author re-creates scenes and episodes from his early life with his family. Although he begins his work as a biographer, Holtz comes to turn his researcher's eye on himself, frankly examining his thoughts of the family he grew up with. These interlocking essays examine the lives of his mother's struggling Finnish immigrant parents, who spoke English; of his father's large, festive German American family; and of his doomed, laughing father, his gentle, overburdened mother, and his self-destructive younger brother. The intertwining effects of heredity, circumstance, and choice in individual lives are played out poignantly as he discovers that the family he was so troubled by in his youth has made him what he has become today.
- Author BiographyWilliam Holtz is Professor Emeritus of English at the University of Missouri-Columbia. He is the author or editor of several books, including the widely acclaimed The Ghost in the Little House: A Life of Rose Wilder Lane and Dorothy Thompson and Rose Wilder Lane: Forty Years of Friendship, Letters, 1921-1960.
- Author(s)William Holtz
- PublisherUniversity of Missouri Press
- Date of Publication30/09/1997
- SubjectAutobiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationMissouri
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Missouri Press
- Content Note25 illustrations
- Weight286 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.