All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGauge/gravity duality creates new links between quantum theory and gravity. It has led to new concepts in mathematics and physics, and provides new tools to solve problems in many areas of theoretical physics. This book is the first textbook on this important topic, enabling graduate students and researchers in string theory and particle, nuclear and condensed matter physics to get acquainted with the subject. Focusing on the fundamental aspects as well as on the applications, this textbook guides readers through a thorough explanation of the central concepts of gauge/gravity duality. For the AdS/CFT correspondence, it explains in detail how string theory provides the conjectured map. Generalisations to less symmetric cases of gauge/gravity duality and their applications are then presented, in particular to finite temperature and density, hydrodynamics, QCD-like theories, the quark-gluon plasma and condensed matter systems. The textbook features a large number of exercises, with solutions available online at www.cambridge.org/9781107010345.
- Author BiographyMartin Ammon is a Junior Professor at Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany, leading a research group on gauge/gravity duality. Johanna Erdmenger is a Research Group Leader at the Max Planck Institute for Physics (Werner Heisenberg Institute), Munich, Germany. She is one of the pioneers of applying gauge/gravity duality to elementary particle, nuclear and condensed matter physics.
- Author(s)Johanna Erdmenger,Martin Ammon
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication09/04/2015
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note72 b/w illus. 156 exercises
- Weight1320 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $53.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.