All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBranching Brownian motion (BBM) is a classical object in probability theory with deep connections to partial differential equations. This book highlights the connection to classical extreme value theory and to the theory of mean-field spin glasses in statistical mechanics. Starting with a concise review of classical extreme value statistics and a basic introduction to mean-field spin glasses, the author then focuses on branching Brownian motion. Here, the classical results of Bramson on the asymptotics of solutions of the F-KPP equation are reviewed in detail and applied to the recent construction of the extremal process of BBM. The extension of these results to branching Brownian motion with variable speed are then explained. As a self-contained exposition that is accessible to graduate students with some background in probability theory, this book makes a good introduction for anyone interested in accessing this exciting field of mathematics.
- Author BiographyAnton Bovier is Professor of Mathematics at the University of Bonn. He is the author of more than 130 scientific papers and two monographs, Statistical Mechanics of Disordered Systems: A Mathematical Perspective (Cambridge, 2006) and Metastability: A Potential-Theoretic Approach (with Frank den Hollander, 2016). Bovier is a Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics and a member of the Clusters of Excellence, The Hausdorff Center for Mathematics and ImmunoSensation, both at the University of Bonn.
- Author(s)Anton Bovier
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication17/11/2016
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics
- Series Part/Volume Number163
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note4 b/w illus.
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.