All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe graying of the U.S. population draws increasing focus to historically unattended segments of society, including sexual and gender mirities. In this first comprehensive volume to address the challenges of aging in the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and intersex populations, this text presents what is currently kwn about aging GLBT individuals and what services are needed to support them. The editors first provide an introductory overview comparing caregiving in GLBT and rmative aging communities. In chapters devoted to the issues of each alternative sexuality and gender identity community, top experts in the field discuss biomedical, psychological, social/sexual, spiritual, socioecomic, and service topics related to that community's aging needs. GLBT populations face unique challenges as they age. Despite the often severe difficulties they encounter, many live out their final years with the dignity and grace that all of us deserve. With a combination of the latest biological and social science research, moving case studies and first-person accounts, practical advice for health professionals, and research literature citations, this book represents a major step forward in addressing concerns of aging GLBT populations. Integrating research, practice, and policy, this text is for students and professionals in gerontology, medicine, social work, psychology, nursing, public health, and related fields who wish to learn more about the life experiences and concerns of sexual- and gender-mirity-identified older patients.
- Author BiographyTarynn M. Witten, Ph.D., L.C.S.W., is an associate professor of biological complexity, senior fellow, and director of research and development at the Center for the Study of Biological Complexity, Virginia Commonwealth University. A. Evan Eyler, M.D., M.P.H., is an associate professor of family medicine and psychiatry at the University of Vermont College of Medicine.
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication12/06/2012
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Weight612 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byA. Evan Eyler,Tarynn M. Witten
- Interest AgeFrom 13
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.