Gay Widowers: Life After the Death of a Partner by Michael Shernoff (Hardback, 1997)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $182.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $44.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA recent gay widower may find that once the shock and initial confusion of losing his partner is overcome, there are still many hard, lonely, and overwhelming stages of grief to be worked through. Often, the bereaved feels isolated, and looking around for comfort, realizes that he doesn't have many resources to turn to, but Gay Widowers: Life After the Death of a Partner is a start. By offering first-person accounts of becoming a widower, this book, the first of its kind, allows others who are about to lose or already have lost a partner to find support, validation, recognition, and fellowship. Its editor and contributors hope that by sharing their stories of loss, pain, and bewilderment, they will help others in mourning as well as make one more step forward in their own healing. Men of different ages and ethnic, religious, geographic, and ecomic backgrounds join together in Gay Widowers to remind other gay widowers that they are t alone and that their feelings of pain, anger, and emptiness are rmal and legitimate. Not solely a book about life after the loss of a partner to AIDS, this book is about rebuilding life as a bereaved gay man, regardless of the cause of your partner's death. You will find encouragement for moving your life forward, without shutting your memories away, as you read about: * how homophobia can complicate a gay widower's grieving and mourning * handling financial and legal matters before and after death * specific mental health issues of gay widowers * dating again * similarities among gay widowers'responses to their partners'deaths * making time for your feelings rather than avoiding them * finding love after or during bereavement * trauma theory's applications to gay widowersBy bringing forth these stories, Gay Widowers offers bereaved gay men, psychologists, counselors, and social workers--in a society where the mourning process is generally a heterosexual, social construct--a clinical overview of the psychodynamic issues relevant, and perhaps unique, to the mourning process of gay men.
- Author(s)Michael Shernoff
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication13/11/1997
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationBinghamton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHaworth Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight453 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byMichael Shernoff
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.