About this product
- DescriptionSilicon Valley veterans and newbies alike will want to explore this book that delves into the rich history behind the region that birthed the world's most important industry. Techlogy journalist Ashlee Vance has captured almost every aspect of the area stretching between San Francisco and San Jose, California, starting with the eager radio and electronics enthusiasts of the early 1900s and ending with the computing powerhouses of today such as Google and Apple. Along the way, the book profiles the people and places that have elevated Silicon Valley to an almost mythic pedestal. This book delivers Silicon Valley, taking us from success story to failed startup and back again as we drive the roads from San Francisco to Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara and San Jose. It's full of profiles of the larger-than-life characters that pioneered the processor, computer, and Internet revolutions. The book's vibrant design includes Silicon Valley Soundbytes packed with insider information and trivia, and Click Here sidebars, which suggest places to eat, drink, and shop.Place by place, readers get the inside scoop on all the addresses that count, which include Microsoft research centers; the headquarters of Google, Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Sun Microsystems, and Oracle; research powerhouses such as Stanford University, NASA Ames, and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory; the Computer History Museum and The Tech Museum; the Shoreline Amphitheater; the Churchill Club; and many more.
- Author BiographyBased in Silicon Valley, Ashlee Vance serves as US Editor for TheRegister.com, Britain's irreverent online rag keeping tabs on the high-tech industry. Vance covers numerous Silicon Valley corporations and various technology areas, including microprocessors, robots, supercomputers and national labs. The Register - fueled by its slogan Biting the hand that feeds IT - has amassed more than 5 million readers and counts as one of the most popular technology news destinations online in Europe, the US, Australia and Canada.Vance's writing has appeared in other publications such as the Economist, the New York Times, and the International Herald Tribune.
- Author(s)Ashlee Vance
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication27/10/2007
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGlobe Pequot Press
- Content Noteincludes 1 map
- Weight19 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $19.50Trending at AU $24.92
- AU $32.95Trending at AU $41.24
- AU $8.69Trending at AU $14.86
- AU $24.29Trending at AU $24.70
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $32.62
- AU $14.95Trending at AU $16.91
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $14.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.