All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow can information techlogy (IT) paradigms and design processes be studied from a gender perspective? What does IT design look like when its construction is informed by gender research? Though gender research and computing science seem like two separate worlds, this book proves how inspirational a confrontation and combination of those worlds can be. A deconstructive analysis of advanced fields of computing shows the multiple ways in which software design is gendered and how gendering effects are produced by its use. Concepts and assumptions underlying research and development, along with design tools and IT products, teaching methods and materials are studied. The book t only offers a gender analysis of information society techlogies, it also shows practical examples of how IT can be different. A gender perspective on IT design can serve as an eye-opener for what tends to be overlooked and left out. It yields invative ideas and high quality software systems that may empower a large diversity of users for an active participation in our information society.
- Author BiographyIsabel Zorn, Prof. Dr. Susanne Maass, Carola Schirmer, and Prof. Dr. Heidi Schelhowe work in computing science, digital media design, and gender studies at Bremen University, Germany. Dr. Els Rommes works at the Institute for Gender Studies at Radboud University Nijmegen, the Netherlands.
- PublisherSpringer Fachmedien Wiesbaden
- Date of Publication13/02/2007
- LanguageEnglish & German
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleStudien Interdisziplinare Geschlechterforschung
- Series Part/Volume Number13
- Place of PublicationWeisbaden
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintVS Verlag fur Sozialwissenschaften
- Content Note10 black & white tables, biography
- Weight290 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Edited byCarola Schirmer,Els Rommes,Heidi Schelhowe,Isabel Zorn,Susanne Maass
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $23.20Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $43.92Trending at AU $50.20
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.