All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this wide-ranging book, Elana Michelson invites us to revisit basic understandings of the 'experiential learner'. How does experience come to be seen as the basis of kwledge? How do gender, class, and race enter into the ways in which kwledge is valued? What political and cultural belief systems underlie such practices as the assessment of prior learning and the writing of life narratives? Drawing on a range of disciplines, from feminist theory and the politics of kwledge to literary criticism, Michelson argues that particular understandings of 'experiential learning' have been central to modern Western cultures and the power relationships that underlie them. Presented in four parts, this challenging and lively book asks educators of adults to think in new ways about their assumptions, theories, and practices: * Part I provides readers with a short history of the tion of experiential learning. * Part II brings the insights and concerns of feminist theory to bear on mainstream theories of experiential learning. * Part III examines the assessment of prior experiential learning for academic credit and/or professional credentials. * Part IV addresses a second pedagogical practice that is ubiquitous in adult learning, namely, the assigning of life narratives. Gender, Experience, and Kwledge in Adult Learning will be of value to scholars and graduate students exploring adult and experiential learning, as well as academics wishing to introduce students to a broad range of feminist, critical-race, materialist and postmodernist thinking in the field.
- Author BiographyElana Michelson is Professor of Liberal Studies and Adult Learning at Empire State College, University of New York.
- Author(s)Elana Michelson
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication18/05/2015
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white line drawings
- Weight340 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $71.84New
- AU $64.55Used
- AU $78.24New
- AU $104.93New
- AU $75.19Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $68.87
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $79.74
- AU $21.24Trending at AU $22.96
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $93.97
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.40
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $127.53
- AU $21.07Trending at AU $22.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.