Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $19.44+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionIn GENDER AND DISCOURSE best-selling and highly respected linguist Deborah Tannen has gathered together five of her essays on language and gender to elaborate the theoretical and empirical framework that underlies her best-selling book, YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND. In an informative introduction, Tannen discusses her field of linguistics, describes the research methods she typically uses, and addresses the controversies associated with her field as well as some misrepresentations of her work. The essays themselves cover a wide range of topics. In one, she analyses a number of conversational strategies- such as interruption, topic raising, indirectness, and silence-and shows that, contrary to earlier work on language and gender, strategy is linked inflexibly to dominance or powerlessness in conversation. Interruption (or overlap) can be supportive as well as dominant; silence and indirectness can express control as well as powerlessness. The interactional context, the participants' individual styles, and the interaction of their styles, Tannen shows, all influence the balance of power. In these essays, she peels back the layers of complexity and strategy underlying even the most basic of conversational interactions to reveal a world where much more than the literal meaning of words is being communicated. Readers interested in a deeper and more detailed understanding of Tannen's work will find this volume fascinating. It will be sure to interest anyone curious about the crucial yet often unticed role that language and gender play in our daily lives.
- Author BiographyDeborah Tannen is University Professor of Linguistics at Georgetown University. She is the author of the best-selling You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation, Talking Voices: Repetition, Dialogue, and Imagery in Conversational Discourse, That's Not What I Meant: How Conversational Style Makes or Breaks Your Relations With Others, Conversational Style: Analyzing Talk Among Friends, and most recently, Talking From 9 to 5: Women and Men in the Workplace: Language, Sex, and Power.
- Author(s)Deborah Tannen
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication22/02/1996
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteline drawings
- Weight210 g
- Width135 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.