All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWinner, in the original edition, of the 1989 Joan Kelly Prize of the American Historical Association, this landmark work from a rewned feminist historian is a trenchant critique of women's history and gender inequality. Exploring topics ranging from language and gender to the politics of work and family, Gender and the Politics of History is a crucial interrogation of the uses of gender as a tool for cultural and historical analysis. The revised edition-in addition to providing a new generation of readers with access to a classic text in feminist theory and history-reassesses the book's fundamental topic: the category of gender. In provocatively arguing that gender longer serves to destabilize our understanding of sexual difference, the new preface and new chapter open a critical dialogue with the original book.
- Author BiographyJoan Wallach Scott is professor of social science at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton. She is author of Only Paradoxes to Offer: French Feminists and the Rights of Man, The Glassworkers of Carmaux for which she won the H.B. Adams Prize from the American Historical Association, and (with Louise Tilly) Women, Work, and the Family.
- Author(s)Joan W. Scott
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication02/11/1999
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleGender and Culture Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Weight408 g
- Width226 mm
- Height147 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.15Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.