All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDoctor Who, Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, and Torchwood represent a significant cross section of BBC science-fiction television. With such respective characters as the Doctor, an enigmatic time-traveling alien; Roj Blake, a problematic rebel leader; Dave Lister, a slovenly last surviving human; and Captain Jack Harkness, a complicated immortal omnisexual, these shows have equally reinforced and challenged viewer expectations for a masculine leading hero. Accordingly, this work explores the construction of gendered heroic identity from both production and fan perspectives by applying a variety of critical lens (media, fan culture, and queer theory). In addition, fan fiction, criticism, and videos that celebrate and resist BBC SF television heroes and villains are considered. As a result, the synergistic and antagonistic tension occurring between these four series' producers/writers/actors and their fans is articulated for a finer understanding of their paradoxical relationship.
- Author BiographyTom Powers is a college lecturer who teaches composition courses. He lives in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Author(s)Tom Powers
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/10/2016
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleCritical Explorations in Science Fiction and Fantasy
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.