All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $19.99
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.85
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $17.43
About this product
- DescriptionHow does contemporary science contribute to our understanding about what it means to be women or men? What are the social implications of scientific claims about differences between male and female brains, hormones, and genes? How does culture influence scientific and medical research and its findings about human sexuality, especially so-called rmal and deviant desires and behaviors? Gender and the Science of Difference examines how contemporary science shapes and is shaped by gender ideals and images. Prior scholarship has illustrated how past cultures of science were infused with patriarchal rms and values that influenced the kinds of research that was conducted and the interpretation of findings about differences between men and women. This interdisciplinary volume presents empirical inquiries into today's science, including examples of gendered scientific inquiry and medical interventions and research. It analyzes how scientific and medical kwledge produces gender rms through an emphasis on sex differences, and includes both U.S. and n-U.S. cases and examples.
- Author BiographyJill A. Fisher is on the faculty of the Center for Biomedical Ethics & Society at Vanderbilt University. She is author of Medical Research for Hire: The Political Economy of Pharmaceutical Clinical Trials (Rutgers University Press).
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2011
- SubjectMedicine: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleStudies in Modern Science, Technology and the Environment
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byJill A. Fisher
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.