All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis cookbook is the result of the contributions by our wonderful seniors and their amazing stories. They were very happy and eager to teach their culinary skills to our youth and young adults.They feel that each migrated person leaves something behind in their country of origin as they board the plane or the boat, be it family, a well-kwn life, the soil, or unspoken memories. Each immigrant has stood at a crossroad, facing mystery from familiar surroundings in hope of a better life. The ancestral voices have stayed close to their hearts throughout this passage of time. Though some things got lost in the process of migration, the experience and kwledge traveled invisibly along. Memory has the ability to recall in a flash, a moment, a flavor or a childhood memory. Most seniors agree that home cooked foods provide a real comfort that keeps them culturally connected and emotionally content. Many feel food is also a tool which helps them remember places, fun festivities or spiritual rituals which can cause homesickness or stalgia. A big part of their day still seems to be devoted to the kitchen. To see the delight in our seniors telling their stories along with these immigrated food recipes was beyond joy. This cookbook by Aangan, is a small tribute to all those who have traveled this journey. We hope they feel a pride for imparting this meaningful part of their culture and heritage to younger generations.
- Author BiographyThis project was conceived by the CENTRE DE BIEN-ETRE FAMILLES D'ORGINE SUD-ASIATIQUE AANGAN INC. This project (#10319713) was supported through a grant from Services Canada under their New Horizons for Seniors Program. We, the Executives of Aangan greatly appreciate the support received from Services Canada. This project would not have been possible without their support. Publication of this cook book achieves the objectives we set out to meet in our grant application.This project directly supports the priority established by Quebec by enabling seniors to maintain their personal skills while facilitating the transfer of their knowledge and wisdom to the next generation youth. We are thankful to all the seniors, youth and volunteers who so enthusiatically participated in this project.
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication25/08/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Photographer(s)Maral Verma
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.