All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionGenetic mapping and marker assisted selection (MAS) is considered as one of the major tools in genetic improvement of crop plants in this gemics era. This book describes basics in linkage mapping, step-by-step procedure to perform MAS, achievements made so far in different crops, and limitations and prospects of MAS in plant breeding. It summarizes all this in a simple but comprehensive mode using suitable examples so as to explain the concept and its historical developments. To summarize, this book describes techlogies for identification of genes of interest through genetic mapping, recaps the major applications of MAS to plant breeding; lists examples in which MAS is being applied to various breeding programs, and emphasizes the various difficulties that limit the application of MAS in plant breeding, providing possible solutions to overcome these difficulties, and finally tries to illustrate the future prospects. This book would be a valuable guide to the under-graduates and post-graduates of agricultural universities and institutes that are interested and/or involved in genetic improvement of crop plants using modern tools. Bibliography listed in this book constitutes two parts: literature cited and further reading. Literature cited contains references cited in the text and further information on the given concept/technique can be obtained from these references. Further reading provides a list of suggested readings for in-depth coverage of the topics.
- Author BiographyN. Manikanda Boopathi is presently working as an Assistant Professor (Biotechnology) at the Department of Plant Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, CPMB&B, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, India. He graduated in agricultural sciences, did his masters and doctoral studies in Plant Biotechnology and trained at International Rice Research Institute, The Philippines. He has handled more than 20 courses for under-graduate and post-graduate students in his university and is invited frequently for delivering lectures in several institutions, both in India and abroad. His scientific work has been recognized during several occasions and has brought him laurels and awards. He has a vast experience in QTL mapping and marker assisted selection in rice and cotton. He has completed several national and international research projects and is currently working in two countrywide and one worldwide network projects that address the problems of biotic and abiotic stresses in cotton, mungbean, hot-pepper and tomato using system quantitative genetics. His publications can be found at http://sites.google.com/site/drnmboopathi and/or http://tnaucottondatabase.wordpress.com/.
- Author(s)N. Manikanda Boopathi
- PublisherSpringer, India, Private Ltd
- Date of Publication11/12/2012
- SubjectLife Sciences: Botany
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintSpringer, India, Private Ltd
- Content Note8 black & white tables, biography
- Weight545 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.