All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn increasingly hot-button issue, genetically modified (GM) food is considered by some as the best way to feed the world's growing population, and by others as an experiment gone wrong on the unsuspecting public. Genetically Modified Foods: Basics, Applications, and Controversy details the basics of biotechlogy and its applications in the laboratory and the field. It provides a balanced presentation of the pros and cons of GM foods, examining the arguments of proponents and opponents, and covering regulations governing GM food labeling. The book includes definitions of biotechlogy considered from different perspectives; examines different techniques, including their advantages and shortcomings; and highlights the unintended consequences of traditional and modern GM techniques. The text also includes information on the use of biotechlogy to produce nutraceuticals and functional foods and biofuels. Discussions of mandatory, n-mandatory, and global labeling; issues of concern, controversy, and consumer welfare; consumer kwledge and right to choose; and the media's actual and expected roles in educating and informing the public round out the coverage. A 360-degree review of GM foods and the issues surrounding them, this book adds to the scientific debate and examines the issues through this lens, giving you information required t only to make an informed decision, but also to be able to discuss your decision with others. It moves this heated debate closer to the day when consumer welfare remains at the heart of the discussion.
- Author BiographySalah Eldin Osman Mahgoub is a Certified Food Scientist (CFS), Professional member of the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT, USA), and Fulbright scholar with international work experience. Has been a university professor in the university of Botswana, Botswana, university of Khartoum, Sudan and an adjunct professor at Kaplan University, USA. A critical thinker with proven experience in food science, food processing, genetically modified foods, functional foods and nutrition in relation to various consumer issues. An experienced researcher, team leader and effective team player, with proven track on developing products from the concept to the shelf and the impact on consumer preferences. Published 34 articles and conference proceedings in peer reviewed journals. Presented and participated in 42 conferences and workshops globally.
- Author(s)Salah Eldin Osman Mahgoub
- PublisherApple Academic Press Inc.
- Date of Publication29/06/2015
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Place of PublicationOakville
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintApple Academic Press Inc.
- Content Note32 black & white illustrations, 7 black & white tables
- Weight725 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.76
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.25
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.