All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionProducts of gene modification have vast implications. Creating public awareness and disseminating information on the subject seeks to demystify some of the widely held falsehoods regarding genetically modified products. This is an informative, thorough and easy-to-understand guide book that aims to enlighten and debunk some of the commonly held misconceptions on products of gene modification and to give the reader a better understanding of the role genetic modification will play. The review sheds light on the safety, and application of these products in medicine, the food industry and other areas, especially those where genetic modification may represent a cheap, faster, credible and viable alternative in achieving sustainable development amongst poor communities. Dr. Mirriam Jumba is a lecturer at the University of Nairobi, School of Biological Sciences, and relies on her scientific expertise as she explores the advantages as well as the risks and concerns surrounding genetic engineering. While answering the questions raised by consumers of genetically modified foods-foods that have the potential to solve many of the world's hunger and malnutrition problems, to protect and preserve the environment by increasing yield, and to reduce reliance on chemical pesticides and herbicides-Dr. Jumba also delves into the many challenges that lie ahead for governments, especially in the areas of safety testing, the application of these products in medicine, regulation, international policy and food labeling. The fascinating findings revealed in this study leave doubt that if the developing world embraces the advantages of genetically modified organisms and biotechlogy, dependence on the west can be reduced, ultimately resulting in positive development.
- Author BiographyDr. Mirriam Jumba is a lecturer at the University of Nairobi, School of Biological Sciences, and is specialized in the fields of microbiology and biotechnology. She is the author of A Miraculous Calling, a Christian-based book.
- Author(s)PhD Miriam Jumba
- PublisherTrafford Publishing
- Date of Publication07/04/2010
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationVictoria
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintTrafford Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight452 g
- Width229 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.15Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.