All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne outstanding question in biology is the problem of devel- opment: how the genetic instructions encoded in the DNA become expressed in the morphological, physiological, and behavioral features of multicellular organisms, through an ordered sequence of events that extend from the first cell division of the zygote to the adult stage and eventual death. The problem is how a one- dimensional array of instructions is transformed into a four- dimensional entity, the organism that exists in space and time. Understanding this transformation is, nevertheless, necessary for mastering the process of evolution. One hundred and twenty-five years after The Origin of Species, we have gained some understanding of evolution at the genetic level. Genetic information is stored in the linear sequence of nucleotides in the DNA. Gene mutations, chromosomal reorganiza- tions, and a host of related processes introduce variation in the sequence and the amount of DNA. The fate of these variations is determined by interactions within the geme and with the outside environment that are largely understood. We have recently gained a glimpse of how the geme of eukaryotes is organized and will learn much more about it in the future, w that we have the research tools for it.
- Author(s)Francisco J. Ayala,G. Ledyard Stebbins,J. Perry Gustafson
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication24/12/2012
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleStadler Genetics Symposia Series
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight647 g
- Width170 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1986
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.