All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNow in paperback, the groundbreaking biography of the most influential surgeon in American history. Gerald Imber s new biography is the first retelling of Halstead s story in many decades and a particularly expert and thoughtprovoking narrative makes the intense strangeness of Halstead s subsequent career a gripping story. Abigail Zuger, New York Times Science Section Dr. William Stewart Halsted s life was fascinating and complex. Halsted, perhaps the most important surgeon America has ever produced, battled a lifelong cocaine addiction and maintained numerous secret relationships while simultaneously devising revolutionary medical invations. Yet the story of Halsted s life, one of seemingly irreconcilable extremes, is in many ways the story of modern medicine. Before Halsted, poorly-trained doctors performed surgery without anesthesia in unsanitary conditions and patients were rarely expected to survive. Halstead transformed the medical practice by inventing local and spinal anesthesia; introducing the use of rubber gloves during surgery; pioneering the use of fine silk thread for sutures; developing techniques for stabilizing blood pressure during surgery; and inventing the radical mastectomy, blood transfusions, and surgical cures for hernias. Genius on the Edge is an illuminating biography of a complex and troubled man whose brilliance we continue to benefitfrom today.
- Author BiographyDr. Gerald Imber is a well known plastic surgeon and authority on cosmetic surgery, and directs a private clinic in Manhattan. An early proponent of prevention and minimally invasive procedures, he has devised many popular anti-aging techniques, and is attending surgeon at New York Presbyterian Hospital and assistant clinical professor of surgery at Weill-Cornell School of Medicine. Dr. Imber has published many scientific papers and is a regular lecturer at professional meetings. He is also the author of a number of beauty books and has written on many subjects for varied publications such as Departures, and The Wall Street Journal, and appears regularly on network television.
- Author(s)Gerald Imber
- PublisherKaplan AEC Education
- Date of Publication01/02/2011
- SubjectBiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKaplan Trade
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.