All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGentlemen Bankers investigates the social and ecomic circles of one of America's most rewned and influential financiers to uncover how the Morgan family's power and prestige stemmed from its unique position within a network of local and international relationships. At the turn of the twentieth century, private banking was a personal enterprise in which business relationships were a statement of identity and reputation. In an era when ethnic and religious differences were prounced and anti-Semitism was prevalent, Anglo-American and German-Jewish elite bankers lived in their respective cordoned communities, seldom interacting with one ather outside the business realm. Ironically, the tacit agreement to maintain separate social spheres made it easier to cooperate in purely financial matters on Wall Street. But as Susie Pak demonstrates, the Morgans' exceptional relationship with the German-Jewish investment bank Kuhn, Loeb & Co., their strongest competitor and also an important collaborator, was entangled in ways that went far beyond the pursuit of mutual profitability. Delving into the archives of many Morgan partners and legacies, Gentlemen Bankers draws on never-before published letters and testimony to tell a closely focused story of how ecomic and political interests intersected with personal rivalries and friendships among the Wall Street aristocracy during the first half of the twentieth century.
- Author BiographySusie J. Pak is Assistant Professor of History at St. John's University.
- Author(s)Susie J. Pak
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication14/06/2013
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Series TitleHarvard Studies in Business History
- Series Part/Volume Number51
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note18 halftones, 6 maps, 11 tables
- Weight658 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.