All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA term with myriad associations, revolution is commonly understood in its intellectual, historical, and sociopolitical contexts. Until w, almost attention has been paid to revolution and questions of geography. Geography and Revolution examines the ways that place and space matter in a variety of revolutionary situations. David N. Livingstone and Charles W. J. Withers assemble a set of essays that are themselves revolutionary in uncovering t only the geography of revolutions but the role of geography in revolutions. Here, scientific revolutions - Copernican, Newtonian, and Darwinian - ordinarily thought of as placeless are revealed to be rooted in specific sites and spaces. Technical revolutions - the advent of print, timekeeping, and photography - emerge as inventions that transformed the world's order without homogenizing it. Political revolutions - in France, England, Germany, and the United States - are table for their debates on the nature of political institutions and national identity. Gathering insight from geographers, historians, and historians of science, Geography and Revolution is an invitation to take the where as seriously as the who and the when in examining the nature, shape, and location of revolutions.
- Author BiographyDavid N. Livingstone is professor of geography and intellectual history at Queen's University, Belfast. Charles W. J. Withers is professor of geography at the University of Edinburgh. They collaborated previously on Geography and Enlightenment, also published by the University of Chicago Press.
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication06/12/2005
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note10 halftones, 7 line drawings
- Weight732 g
- Width176 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byCharles W. J. Withers,David N. Livingstone
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $190.23New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $23.07Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.